What is URL Optimization in SEO?
What is URL Optimization in SEO? URL Optimization is a technical and logical process to optimize the Slug Structure (Slug Length, Context and Sense) of individual web pages on a website in order to make them user friendly, web crawlers friendly and search index friendly, so the algorithms can understand the content of the page better to further help with better SEO rankings in the SERP.
What is the meaning of URL? URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator. It is web address of any file available on the World Wide Web which can be accessible by anyone at any point of time (Unless the file is protected with certain accessibility securities) The URL can be of any;
- Website web page address
- URL of any media file in Image (.jpg/.png/jpeg, etc), Video (mp.3), Audio (mp3), PDF (.pdf), etc.
URL Optimization is one of the main steps in the process of search engine optimization, as it helps search engine crawlers to understand the topics of web page increases the chances that page with optimized URL to get found on relevant searches in the search engines.
What Does A BAD and A GOOD SEO URL Looks Like?
There are many types of URL available on the web, but the ones that are clearly defined are always promoted by the search engine crawlers because they are easy to read and understand. One more thing, a good URL is also one of those 200 search engine ranking factors.
- /p=26648 (Bad SEO URL)
- /ViewPressRel.asp?aId=263127 (BAD SEO URL)
- /this%20is%20a%20bad%20url%20 (BAD SEO URL)
- /service-name (GOOD SEO URL)
- /service-name-location (GOOD SEO URL)
- /category/soap/dove (GOOD SEO URL)
Why URL Optimization in SEO is Crucial?
URL optimization is very crucial because it can make or break your website rankings in the Google search. A properly designed and structured URL structure can be a key to success for your website’s first page rankings. Below are some recommended URL types and not recommended practices for URL optimization.
- Recommended Simple, descriptive words in the URL
- Recommended Localized words in the URL, if applicable.
- Recommended Use UTF-8 encoding as necessary. For example, the following example uses UTF-8 encoding for Arabic characters in the URL
- Recommended Country-specific domain
- Recommended Country-specific subdirectory with gTLD
- Recommended Hyphens (-)
- Not recommended Using non-ASCII characters in the URL
- Not recommended Unreadable, long ID numbers in the URL
- Not recommended Underscores (_)
- Not recommended Keywords in the URL joined together
- What is SEO
- White Hat SEO
- Black Hat SEO
- Gray Hat SEO
- On-Page Optimization
- Off-Page Optimization